|Destination : Karnala (Panvel)|
Coordinates: 18°52'57"N 73°7'8"E
Distance from Mumbai: 47.8 kms*
Duration : 12 Hrs*
Estimated cost : Rs.300*
Time to visit : Winter
Activities : Trekking, Fort, Gardens, Hill Top, Bird Watching, Wildlife Sanctuary
Place of visit : Karnala Fort
Elevation : 1500 ft*
|Mid-way view from Karnala Hill|
The sanctuary is centered around the historic Karnala fort. Present day, it is a favorite weekend spot for trekking enthusiasts.
Karnala fort actually consists of two forts one at a higher level and other lower. At the centre of the higher level is a 125 feet high basalt pillar. It is also called Pandu's tower. This structure was used as
We gathered at Panvel station and then walked till the main road to catch a tum-tum (6 seater auto rickshaw) which will charge you 30-50 rupees per person. Please do not pay more than 30-50 rupees as the rickshaw wala's might cheat you.
|Entrance of Karnala|
Do not carry plastic bottles for water, use re-usable bottles like the tupperware ones. If you do carry a plastic bottle you would have to make a deposit of 200 bucks and register near the entrance. The deposit would be returned only if you manage to get the plastic bottle on your way back. Please do not litter and help in preserving nature. Clicking pictures is not prohibited but if you wish to take a camera inside the sanctuary , you need to pay Rs. 150.
There were not many species of birds as we had expected. The caged birds were the only ones that caught our attention. There were also rabbits and beautiful peacocks in the cages. There is also a temple of Goddess Karnai near the base the fort. We spent some time there capturing images and then continued our trail.
|Way to hill top|
|View of Karnala Fort|
There were two forts, one at a higher level and one at a lower level. The central structure of the fort was like a tall pillar like structure. Climbing on this was not allowed because it is risky. There were two waters holes around the structure , which has adulterated water now. There was an open space at the far end of the fort, where we spent some time clicking pictures and watching the breathtaking view from up there.
We loved how the unadulterated physical magnificence around us stimulated in us thoughts that we would otherwise never have. After all, we knew that while the blisters on our aching feet will heal and fade away, we will always be able to carry these thoughts with us. Overall, it was an amazing and memorable experience; a must visit place.
Plan your own trip Now !
How to reach :
- Panvel (47.8 kms)
The Itinerary :
- 09 : 00 - Assemble at Panvel station
- 08 : 15 - Take Rickshaw for Karnala
- 08 : 45 - Reach the base & Start climbing the hill
- 11 : 30 - Reach hill top & explore the fort
- 12 : 45 - Lunch at Hill Top
- 01 : 30 - Start descending the hill
- 03 : 30 - Reach back to the base & Refreshments.
- 04 : 00 - Take Rickshaw for Panvel Station
- 04 : 30 - Depart home from Panvel station
- Entry - Rs/-30
- Camera charges - Rs/-150 (non refundable)
- plastic materials - Rs/-200 (refundable)
- FINE - Rs/-500 for littering or throwing garbage
- Parking Available - Rs/-50 (capacity : 20 cars ONLY)
- Karnala - Small shops selling eateries like Nimbu paani, etc are available only on the base of the hill.
- Lunch - Most of the restaurants are available around the station only. So it is advisable to carry your own lunch from home.
Bag Packing :
- Cap & Aviators
- Small rope
- Lighter / matchbox
- Pen Knife
- 2 litres of drinking water
- Food : Dry lunch, sandwich, cake, biscuit or fruits.
- First Aid : Band aid, Cotton, Savlon, Soframycin, crocin odomos, Eno or Electral powder
- T-shirt & tracks
- Winter Jacket
- Good pair of shoes
- Get Binocular for bird watch
- Packed lunch from home as no restos available near by
- Tupperware bottles for water
- Do not get plastic things like bisleri bottles or polythene bags.
- Feed the animals
- Throw garbage in the jungle
- Monkeys snatching food
- Spider web
- Honeycombs on the hill top
Cell Phone :
- Battery charged
- Power backups
- Image files of local area map
- 2g/3g enabled
- Working flashlight
- Updated google maps & saved offline maps
- Phone number of the group members
Do not Take :
- Panvel : 18°59'27"N 73°7'14"E
- Karnala : 18°52'57"N 73°7'8"E
| Parth Parikh|